Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

when a good idea pretty much fails



So I did absolutely nothing this 4th of July, nothing, and I think that's the 4th year in a row. Kinda difficult and boring to try to plan a holiday with no kids and most single friends out of town. I swear every year it's like this. I almost want to have kids just make holidays more enjoyable, ha ha.


But I did make a cake. A lovely lemony fluffy (think fluffy as in Despicable Me fluffy, :-)!) cake. Looks pretty, huh?! This is what I do when I'm extremely bored and don't wanna read, clean, go online, watch tv, and heaven forbid too bored to even sleep: I bake, especially if I have most of the ingredients. I'm not the best, but I try. This recipe is from Smitten Kitchen (I've said how much I'm obsessed with this site haven't I), layered lemon cake

It's a fantastic cake by the way; you all should make it. I think the actual cake will be my standard now for plain white/yellow cake. But as I was reading in the "millions" of comments people left (yeah, this was a popular cake), one person asked if it would work to torch the frosting since it's essentially a meringue. Well I don't have a torch, so I did the old fashion method of putting it in the oven, thinking it would come out all fluffy like lemon meringue pie. Yeah, um, I should have just left it as it was. It was more like meringue cookies instead, all crunchy. Nice idea, but bad idea. Maybe I'll make it again in the future, but forget about the torching, :-(

No comments: