Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Destinations: Fairytale Town, Sacramento

Who remembers places like this when they were a child



Many towns have them

In the town I grew up in, ours was this: Fairytale Town. It's been around since the late 50s early 60s. Everything was at child level, a literal playground with the slides and such transformed into Jack and the Beanstalk or The Old Woman and the Shoe.

This past Saturday I returned again for a family birthday, and was transported back to my childhood of walking on the crooked mile, chasing after roosters, sitting in Cinderella's pumpkin carriage, but this time having to duck my head as I  entered under the gate. My niece, however, was not impressed, more like the opposite. She was completely freaked out by all of the oversized things she recognized from her story books. I'll giver her a couple of years, then she'll love it.

While on the Fairytale Town website, I found out that they are now promoting adult fun, in the evenings after all the kids have gone to bed. This is one of this summer's festivities:


photo from past event


No comments: